The idea that we have to “work hard” to attain nice things, fine food or future security is a conditioned belief that keeps us from experiencing the subtle richness that gives true meaning to life. The work we do now can never guarantee anything for the future, and if we’re not enjoying life Now, we’re wasting the only time that ever really exists.
Burying ourselves in work or a career gives credence to the ego self which seeks to create stability by controlling the future through our efforts. However, our desires in the material world have NO purpose except to serve the desires of our Being – which seeks expansion of conscious experience.
The purpose of worldly desires is not to compel human effort chasing and achieving them, but to provide creative inspiration to our higher consciousness. While material desires can lead to fulfillment of our higher purpose, we have only to honor those desires without attachment or resistance to them.
Efforts that are NOT attached to the achievement of any physical or material desires are a reward of themselves because they serve the One that endures forever. In this way, our material desires are effortlessly manifested to the extent that they serve our Beingness, and our awareness in the present is not wasted through our attempts to achieve for a future that never exists.
The ego has a strong will and the ability to drive our physical efforts in the direction of any desires we choose. But in order to move in the direction of our true desires, the ego self must be trained to serve the conscious One.
This training is not easy, but it’s magnificent, and our efforts in this regard continue to pay dividends in this lifetime and beyond.
Here’s the process:
- Practice being aware of all thoughts running through the mind
- Notice which thoughts attach you to any desire in the material world
- Appreciate your desires (it means you are alive!), but honor your higher Self by releasing the intent to control any manifestation of them
- Stay present and alert to your emotional state to determine which efforts in the Now moment honor the true You. If your efforts feel rewarding in and of themselves, you are moving in the intended direction. However, if your efforts feel agitated, stressful or worthless without some future reward, you are acting from ignorance.
- There is no need to immediately stop what you are doing or make sudden changes. Just become conscious of what you are doing and what purpose you are serving. Change will come as an obvious next step through this practice.
- Through awareness, recognize and release all thoughts of fear, worry, stress or anything that leads to an uncomfortable feeling because wallowing in these thoughts strengthens the ego’s need for control and can never serve the real You. Any time you notice a feeling of discomfort or pain, practice Long Deep Breathing for as long as it takes to feel calm.
- As you continue releasing self limiting thoughts and the ego’s tendency to control the future, you will be more open to new information and you will come to notice more clues in your environment that lead you in the direction of higher achievement.
- Remember to remember that You are eternal, and not the self image that you have created for this life experience.
Yoga with meditation is an essential tool for this process because it trains the mind to be in the present moment and both body and mind to follow your higher purpose. It also works on all systems to ensure that you are receptive to the guidance always being given by your higher Self.
I also recommend including raw food with plenty of raw fat in your diet to facilitate the elimination of toxic substances that may impede your efforts.